Welcome to
Menachem's Story Blog

Another Uncle
and Another, Very Different, Holocaust Experience

I only met my grandfather's little brother twice, once at his grandson's wedding and a couple of years later at his house where he was living with the same grandson and his wife.

My great uncle was very deaf later in his life, and the first time I met him I was unable to communicate with him due to the high level of background noise that is typical of religious Jewish weddings. I'm actually hoarse right now from shouting to my cousins at my niece's wedding last night -- but this seems to be the trend today in our circles.

How I came to meet Uncle Lipot* (the second time) is also an interesting story. We had been living in Israel for two years and I was at business meeting somewhere up north. The couple who had been the Bnei Akiva shlichim (emissaries) in Sydney at the time we left Australia, had recently returned to Israel and were living in Ra'anana. So I took the opportunity to drop in and say G'day on my way back home in the evening.

We were catching up on old times and the travails of returning to Israel. There was a knock at the door. My friends were selling their apartment and a young couple had arranged to come over that evening to look at it. The couple came in and were looking around the flat. Something looked familiar about them, but I am really bad with faces. The man also glanced at me as he passed by, but only on the their third circuit around the apartment, did Avishai say, "Aren't you my cousin Menachem from Australia". Of course I had to plead guilty and realised immediately who he was. We talked for a while, ignoring my friends, the apartment owners. Avishai's grandfather came up in conversation and when he realised I had never really met him, he said that's where we, including you, are going right now.

I told my friends I would be back in an hour or two -- I left my car there -- and drove down the road with Goldie and Avishai. Family reunions are always emotional affairs.

My cousins took me over to Uncle Lipot's house. Now I knew of this uncle's existence for many years, but my mother and her sisters weren't on great terms with him and largely ignored him. My mother though was occasionally in contact with his daughter, Sonya (Sarah in Israel) who was her age and a former classmate. I still don't know the exact source of the problem between them, but as in most family feuds, it had something to do with money and family pride. In the end things did work themselves out. Sonya took my mother to visit her father (we're talking now about well over thirty years ago -- by then Lipot was about eighty years old and widowed). Following this encounter, my mother said the state of enmity between them was now forgotten (Baruch haShem).

Of course as is usual in these meetings, Avishai says to his grandfather, pointing towards the stranger he had just brought into his house, "Guess who this is?" He had to ask the question three times, each time raising the volume a few notches. In the end, his wife seemed to have better contact with the old man, and only when she yelled the question to him did he start to look me up and down. He did figured out that I was "Gluck" from my face but of course couldn't guess whose offspring. But he was happy to make my acquaintance and really had nice things to say about my mother.

The conversation was more of a monologue than a dialogue, given my uncle's auditory challenges. If I really had a question, Goldie would yell it out at many decibels, and sometimes I got a relevant answer. So I did a lot of listening -- not easy for me.

Uncle had recently undergone a cataract operation, which back then was rarely performed on people of his advanced age. Before the surgery, he could barely see and hardly hear. Now since the operation his sight was so good that he was able to read the super fine print (about four or five point type) in the back of the Talmud, without any aids. He told me he was so happy that God had restored his sight, he feared requesting an improvement in his hearing too. He happily spent his days studying the holy Jewish texts alone at home.

He told me stories from the wartime, the Holocaust. He didn't see the end coming on that fateful day in Kosice in May, 1944, when the Jews were deported to Auschwitz for extermination and forced labour, the final solution to the Jewish problem of Europe. The city of Kosice and its surrounds were seceded from Czechoslovakia to Hungary in 1938, and the deportation of Hungarian Jews was now beginning. And to Kosice, the end arrived very suddenly, though it had only been a matter of time.

On that fateful day, when my uncle realised that it was all over for Jewish life in this part of the world, he did not know what to do, where to go. A well-to-do businessman, a religious Jew, he was lost, nowhere to go, nothing to do. So he went to my grandfather's house. "I said to my brother, 'Mendle Boorich**'", reverting from his almost accentless Hebrew to the Hungarian intonation of Hebrew. "Mendle Boorich what are you going to do today?" My grandfather had just found out that a car was on its way to pick him up, with his wife and one child. They were going to "run the gauntlet", cross the "new", artificial border to Presov, some sixty kilometres away. Following the Chamberlain-Hitler realignment of Czechoslovakia in 1938, Presov was part of the Slovak republic. My grandmother's brother, Uncle Vince Treitel, had made the arrangements.

(Incidentally my grandparents and their five year old granddaughter did make it safely to Presov, only to be later betrayed, and murdered in Auschwitz, less than five months later. Their car was supposed to return to ferry my mother, her four sisters and brother to Presov as well, but another Jewish family -- also called Treitel but not related to us -- paid the driver more than Uncle Vince was paying and got themselves across the border instead. My mother and her sisters ended up on the transport to Auschwitz the next day; no-one knows the fate of their brother, Laurence, until this very day.)

Back to Uncle Lipot. After he realised my grandfather couldn't help him, he didn't know what to do. Returning home now would be suicide. A religious Jew normally finds solace in the study hall, over a tome of Gemara or other holy book, but neither was this an option on this day. So my uncle went to work. He owned a large lumber yard on the outskirts of the city. I don't know what he expected to do there on such a day, or what he thought would await him there -- he certainly did not expect to spend a normal workday in the office. But it turned out to be the best thing he could have done, perhaps the best thing he did in all of his long life (and he lived to the ripe old age of ninety-eight.)

Only one other person turned up to work on this infamous day. His "goy", as my uncle referred to this gentile employee, said, "Well boss, what are you going to do?" My uncle said he did not know. The goy said, "I'll look after you."

"Come with me." My uncle wasn't sure what to do, who to trust, but on the other hand he had nothing planned, no idea of how to proceed, how to save his life. This wasn't a normal business transaction. His experience and his learning had not prepared him for such an awful day. So he agreed to put his fate in the hands of this non-Jew.

The goy walked out of the office and my uncle followed. They walked past the timbers and onto the road outside. The employee tells his boss, "If you want me to help you, then walk like a goy." My uncle related, "What!? How does a goy walk? -- so I asked him to show me." The old man stands up from his chair in his lounge room and demonstrates how the timber yard worker walked. I burst out laughing even though this was a very serious story. Uncle walked around the room, moving hip and shoulder in one movement, alternating sides. It was a strange gait.

"Then the goy told me to take off my cap. 'What take off my cap?!'" I think my uncle had never walked four feet in his life with his head uncovered, with the sun beating down on his pate. "Yes, you look too Jewish with a hat." "I saw his point, so I removed it and threw it into the bushes."

"Then he said, 'Whistle!'. What, whistle -- this was too much -- I don't know how to whistle. Jews aren't supposed to whistle -- we just don't do that." "Yes, just copy me and whistle." "So I whistled", and he resumes walking around the room, in this strange walk, blowing air through his lips, making some kind of strange, totally unmusical hiss. "We continued like this all the way to the goy's house, me pretending to be a goy", he said as he continued around his living room, blowing white noise out of his mouth.

No matter what my uncle's doubts must have been, and he had good reason to doubt the gentile's ability to hide him and his long term interest in doing so. He could have turned my uncle over to the authorities and stolen his business, his house and whatever other property there was. And they all knew that anyone caught harbouring a Jew was summarily executed by the Nazis.

But this righteous gentile hid and looked after my uncle for the nine or ten months until the liberation of the city by the advancing Russian army.

Being in his home town, perhaps the only Jew remaining in Kosice, at the termination of hostilities, Uncle Lipot was the first to come back home, to return to his own house. As the surviving Jews came home, returning from concentration camps, from slave labour and from hiding places in the forests, as they came back to Kosice, many dropped by my uncle's house. He gave many their first real meal, gave them somewhere to stay temporarily, provided a shoulder to lean on, someone with whom to cry and to mourn, to find some hope to continue on.

Uncle told me of one particular day, like so many others in those first weeks -- a group of returnees were in the house, and he was "entertaining" them, a lively conversation: people relating their "stories", their personal histories, their terrible experiences, the tragedy of the Jewish people. Suddenly my uncle became aware of a person standing by the entrance of the house. He did not enter. Something was very eerie with the newcomer, something very strange, very uncanny -- my uncle could not put his finger on it. The man, was it indeed a man? looked terrible, just a shadow of a human being. Then he sort of started to smile, a very weird smile, or to be more accurate, a half smile. What did he want? Was he a real person? Uncle Lipot did not recognise the stranger, he was completely unfamiliar.

The stranger didn't budge. He just continued staring towards my uncle -- staring right through him. By now the room was silent, all eyes were on the visitor by the front door. Who was he? What had transpired with him over the long months since the last Jews were forcibly removed from this city? The silence probably only lasted a few seconds, but Uncle Lipot felt an eternity pass by. It was impossible to even guess this man's age. What did this man want? Who was he?

Finally the sickly, thin, gaunt man very slowly approached his father and hugged him. Yes, Uncle Lipot had failed to recognise his own son.


* Lipot Probably short for Leopold.

**Mendle Boorich I am named Menachem Baruch after my Gluck grandfather and also after my paternal grandfather, Baruch (Béla) Kaufman, who was born one hundred years before me.

What happened to all of them and where are they today

Uncle Lipot survived the war, hidden by his gentile employee. He managed to send for his wife and youngest son, Kalman, (about fourteen years old) and they were hidden in the gentile's house. Sonya and her husband, Solly, survived the camps but lost their baby. All of them came to Israel after the Communist takeover of Czeckoslovakia and have remained here since.

My uncle and aunt also had a daughter who died of natural causes before the deportations.

Another son was in Budapest during the war and managed to penetrate the Nyilaskeresztes, the Hungarian Arrow Cross, the pro-German, anti-Semitic, national socialist party, led by Ferenc Szálasi. These "brown shirts" ruled Hungary from October 15, 1944 to January 1945. My cousin was discovered and murdered for being a Jew.

Incidentally we also had a Treitel (Ehrmann) cousin who infiltrated the Arrow Cross. He was "discovered" after being wounded in his leg. His "comrades" removed his trousers to treat his injury and immediately saw his circumcision. He was, without delay, thrown into the Danube, the river dividing the cities of Buda and Pest. I heard that, in his brown shirt, he was able to help many Jews in wartime Budapest.

Unfortunately, many of our fellow Jews met their Maker in the Danube. The Danube was red with Jewish blood during those years.

Please feel free to and don't forget to stop by my site to look at my latest (and classic) photographs. There are even some photographs there which I took on my trusty Canon A1.


Previous posts:


Be part of the new Internet tapestry phenomenon:
      Help us sew the Logo Quilt. Add a patch with your logo.
      And add some Word Links to your site.